First mentioned in 1274 as “Castrum Zazilet” but probably dating from a much earlier period, Saciletto Castle guarded the ancient Roman road that went from Aquileia to Cividale. Its strategic location in the lower Friulian plains made it an object of contention between the Patriarch of Aquileia and the Count of Gorizia. Ceded in 1303 by Ossalco di Saciletto to Patriarch Ottobono di Razzi in exchange for other property, the castle was attacked and burned down on 11 November 1315 by the troops of Count of Gorizia who had sided with other feudal lords, such as Rizzardo di Camino, the Pramperos, the Spilimbergos, the Cucagnas, and the Zuccolas. Passed under the jurisdiction of the Counts of Porcia who administered it since 1335, it was recorded in 1490 as an estate of Patriarch Marco Barbo. One year later, on 16 May 1491, it was passed to Giovanni Francesco di Lucinico and Bernardino Antonini; in 1518 the Antoninis became sole proprietors keeping the estate until the death of Alfonso Antonini in 1837, when it was passed to the Valentinis. The castle was restored in the 19th century in a romantic style.
Distance from Lignano is 56 km., 49 minutes with a car.