Tolmezzo (Friulian: Tumieç) is a town and commune in the province of Udine, part of the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of north-eastern Italy.
The existence of Tolmezzo (called Tolmetium) is first documented in the late 1st millennium CE, when it was part of the Patriarchate of Aquileia, but it has been suggested that the town stemmed from a very ancient pre-Roman settlement. in Roman times the area was crossed by one of the main Roman roads connecting Italy to what is now Austria.
The city had a flourishing market, and was defended by a line of walls with 18 towers and by the castle of the Patriarchs. In 1420 it was annexed to the Republic of Venice, but its trades and industries did not suffer the changement, and the city maintained its privileges. In 1797, with the Treaty of Campo Formio, it was handed over to the Austrian Empire, and, after a short Napoleonic rule, it was included in the client Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia.
Tolmezzo became part of the the new unified Kingdom of Italy in 1866.
The distance from Lignano is about 113 km., ca. 1 hour and 10 minutes by car.