The town’s principal church, work of Domenico Rossi (1707-1725) and consecrated to St. Michael Archangel, stands in the main square, preceded by a flight of steps. The uncompleted bell tower was begun in 1531 on the basis of a plan by Giovanni da Udine.
The interior is divided into a nave and two side aisles with two domes: at the beginning of the left side aisle there is a baptistery of the 16th century; at the first altar on the left there is the “Trinity”, a copy done by Domenico Fabris of an original work by Il Pordenone.
The old Town Hall is situated on the right. It has got a porch of low arches and a three-mullioned window looks towards the square. It houses the town archives, with documents that date back to the 12th century. Here is also situated the important Guarneriana Civic Library.
The construction of the palace dates back to 1415. Several elaborations were made to this building at the end of the 16 th century and in the 18th century, when it became the library seat; in the interior there is the particularly worthy Fontanini’ s hall , which has got wooden bookcases of 1742.
On the right hand of the church, in via Roma, opposite the belfry there’s a house with an arcade, built in the 14th century. It faces via Cavour which leads to the Church of Madonna della Fratta.
This Gothic church was begun in 1350 and completed with the stone façade in 1469; we can learn this information from the inscription on the left of the top of the portal; on the contrary, this one dates back to 1471 and represents the “Madonna on a Throne with the Child and Angels” in the lunette, which is surrounded by an ogival arc. The portal is between two high windows with one opening and on the top there is a mullioned window with two lights.
The distance from Lignano is about 107 km., ca. 1 hout and 18 minutes by car.