BARCOLANA 39: ALFA ROMEO 2 WINS AND BEATS THE RECORD IN 55 MINUTES AND 30. MAXI JENA SECOND, THIRD ESIMIT-EUROPA WINS FOR SIXTH TIME IN CLASS MAXI.
Trieste, October 14, 2007 5:43 p.m.
Triumph record for Alfa Romeo 2 to Barcolana of Trieste needed just 55 minutes and 30 seconds to Neville Crichton to win the race in Trieste with 1,831 yachts at the start of every shape and size.
Crichton, for the fourth time overall winner of the race (2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007) was elegant and technically perfect: started conservative, in respect of more than 25,000 sailors in the Gulf, he expected to be free to hoist the gennaker and take over 25 knots of speed around the first buoy.
More than five minutes advantage over all other opponents, the wind of bora, with 16 knots and gusts up to 35 knots, have now guaranteed the victory, but only the great and helmsman's precision and perfection of the boat, made it possible to improve the record of 16.5 miles distance on the tour.
With over two minutes gap on the previous record, (it was stable in 2005 at 58'30''by Skandia) Alfa Romeo 2 win Barcolana Edition 2007. Goal of date:
1) Alfa Romeo 2 of Neville Crichton with time of 55 minutes and 30 seconds;
2) Maxijena of Mitija Kosmina;
3) Esimit-Europa Igor Simcic;
4) Tuttatrieste2-Fiamme Gialle armed for the occasion by sailing Section of the Guardia di Finanza;
5) Fly-Cometa of Flavio Favini;
6) Drake Passage-Banca Generali Mauro Pelaschier;
7) Idrusa-Calvi of Paul Montefusco;
8) Casino Park-Anyway True of Maurizio Bencic;
9) Ross I-Esercito of Cino Ricci;
10) Ushuaia - Devco Devco Srl of Sabatini Paolo.
''In front of the marvelous spectacle of Barcolana the America's Cup in Valencia takes a back seat''-said Vincenzo Onorato, patron of Mascalzone Latino during an interview by RAI headquarters of Friuli Venezia Giulia and on the air during the direct result of the regatta on Rai Tre.
Event organized by: Societa' Velica di Barcola e Grignano - Viale Miramare, 32 - 34134 TRIESTE - Tel 040 411664 fax 040 413838 - firstname.lastname@example.org
La barcolana ha luogo ogni anno la seconda domenica di ottobre ... alla prossima !
Barcolana takes place annually on the second Sunday of October ... see you next year !
Distance from Lignano about 90 km., about 1 hour and 10 minutes by car.