Murano is a small island lying on the Venice lagoon, a commercial port as far back as the 7th Century. In 1291, the Venetian Republic ordered glassmakers to move their foundries to Murano because the glassworks represented a fire danger in Venice, whose buildings were mostly wooden at the time, and, with time, they became the best glassmakers of the world.
Murano is still an exporter of traditional products like mirrors and glassware, and its factories produce modern items such as faucet handles, glass lampshades, and electric chandeliers, as well as paperweights, glass beads and necklaces, knickknacks, and items of glass jewelry.
Burano is a marvelous island, a heaven that enchants the tourists, not only for the historical themes, but even for its charm, for the unreal silence of its mornings, for the happy bawling and for the peculiar local dialect, that has the characteristic to lengthen, almost to double, the consonants.
The historic traces that the island still preserves are almost all contained in the ample church devoted to S. Martin, a construction of the XVI century. The big square in front of the church is dedicated to Baldassarre Galuppi, who was the famous musician called the Buranello, pride of Burano. The Islands houses the Lace Museum which tells the epic story of the Burano lace makers.
Distance from Lignano is ca. 100 km., about 1 hour and 15 minutes with a car.